Cosplay Contest Rules
Designing and assembling a costume to wear to a convention requires no small amount of effort for many attendees, and so BronyCAN is thrilled to have an opportunity to let our attendees in cosplay show off their hard work for the crowds! Our annual cosplay contest is being organized and run by BronyCAN Staff and the talented Miss Bloo, so please read over the rules and guidelines below carefully before entering this grand event!
COSTUME CONTEST INFO:
- Contestants are highly encouraged to begin showing up in the Grand Ballroom at 9:15. Contestants must show up no later than 9:45 in order to participate.
- Bloo will begin instruction at 9:45 on what do, who to follow, and where to go
- There will be a photoshoot in Boardroom A directly following the contest (official start time is noon)
- Awards will be at 2:30-3:30 in the Grand Ballroom. You must be present to receive your award and prize.
GENERAL CONVENTION COSPLAY RULES:
1. No nudity, all sensitive areas should be covered
2. Any and all weapons or weapon-like objects must be peace-bonded (Please ask a volunteer for this information)
3. If your costume does not adhere to the rules, you will be asked to change into something more suitable.
COSPLAY CONTEST SPECIFIC RULES:
1. All general convention cosplay rules must be adhered to.
2. There must be a pony theme to your costume. Crossovers are accepted, however the predominant theme MUST be MLP related. No non-MLP related cosplays will be allowed to participate in the contest.
3. Your costume must be something that you made partially at home. Purchasing the last piece of your costume at the vendors hall during the con is accepted, however purchasing your whole cosplay at the convention will not be permitted.
4. A cosplay may not be simply mass produced merchandise from Hot Topic or other sources.
5. It is OK to enter a costume you commissioned.
6. You MUST be present and ready to go 15 minutes before the contest begins, otherwise you will not be allowed to participate as a contestant.
7. It is alright to register while not in the cosplay you are entering, however you will need to give a full description to Bloo for approval before you are allowed to register
8. Bloo reserves the right to turn away any contestant at the door, should they not adhere to contest rules at her discretion. This power also extends to the judges.
9. You MUST be present at the Cosplay Awards to claim your prize and award. If you are not present, the award and prize will go to the next person on the list.
Registration is only available during the con in Boardroom C. There will be 100 registration slots available on a first come first serve basis. If you wish to participate in the contest, you must sign up by filling out a registration form sometime during the following timeslots:
FRIDAY 18:00 – 19:00
SATURDAY 17:30 – 18:30
Best In Show
Cutest (Best Costume)
Silliest (Best Stage Presence)
Most Elegant (Best Poise)
Best Foal (12 and under)
Where do I register?
Boardroom C on Friday from 6pm to 7pm or on Saturday from 5:30pm to 6:30pm There will be 100 registration forms available.
What is the Cutest category?
This award goes to the person with the most stunning costume. You still have the potential to win this award even if you get a small case of stage fright.
What is the Silliest category?
This award goes to the person who is most in character. Some people don’t have the craftsmanship abilities of others, but their cosplay shines in it’s own way because of the life they give it through their acting.
What is the Most Elegant category?
This award goes to the person with the best poise. This is a fashion/costume show after all, consider this award for the person who owns the catwalk.
What if we want to go up as a group?
You may go up in groups (please let Bloo know ahead of time,) however you each need to fill out a form, as you will be judged individually.
*Foals may be accompanied by a non-participating adult, should they need the help. Non-Participating adults are allowed to be in costume.
I wasn’t able to sign up, can I still participate?
Unfortunately, you need to register during the allotted times in order to participate as a contestant. However, you can still show off your cosplay in all its amazing glory at the Cosplay Photoshoot from Noon – 1pm in Boardroom A!